PICAIS is the University's central cross-project platform for academic excellence and interdisciplinary convergence. It promotes research aligned with the University's strategic guiding themes, supporting interdisciplinary project ideas that break new ground in terms of the topics examined and the methods employed. The centre is dedicated to the advancement of early career researchers and the creation of opportunities for network-building and interdisciplinary co-operation. PICAIS attracts international visiting scholars to Passau and integrates them into the University's academic community.
PICAIS pursues five core objectives:
- Ensure provision of rooms, time and financial resources for outstanding research projects
- Establish a vibrant platform for co-operation and exchange with scientists and scholars of international standing
- Further the academic potential of promising early career researchers by facilitating close personal contacts and mentoring; this goes hand-in-hand with a clear commitment to family-friendliness and equal opportunities
- Create a unique culture of collegial, transparent, open-minded and multidisciplinary co-operation
- Establish an interface between academia and society to promote dialogue between those engaged in basic research and the social, economic and cultural actors of our networked society
At PICAIS, researchers have the opportunity to advance top international research projects over a limited period of time. During their time at PICAIS, they are free to focus their full attention on this project – away from the demands of day-to-day academic life.
The cluster 'Cyber<>Spaces: Discourse, Co-Creation and Institutions in the Age of Digitalisation' is one example of the work done at PICAIS. It is intended to create a unique forum for interdisciplinary basic research on one of the greatest challenges of our time: the social implications of digitalisation.